Head, Digital Library Initiatives at North Carolina State University Libraries July 2014-Present
- Managed a widely recognized digital library services and software development team.
- Directed work in digital collections, digital preservation, the repository, research data management, digital research and scholarship services, digital media, and search and discovery.
- Led the department through an periods of change including several portfolio and personnel transitions.
- Led ongoing improvements in development and deployment practice through methods like DevOps in collaboration with DLI and IT department staff.
- Led efforts in areas such as digital video delivery and search engine optimization.
- Developed IIIF support for digital special collections including implementing the image, presentation, and content search APIs. Oversaw and advised on IIIF annotation work in the department.
- Led a team promoting ORCID adoption and developing software and services in support of ORCID and campus integrations.
Associate Head, Digital Library Initiatives at North Carolina State University Libraries February 2012–July 2014
- Implemented use of HTML5 video and audio including access derivative processing, server setup, captioning with WebVTT, video sitemaps, and video engagement analytics tracking.
- Developed video oral history projects the Student Leadership Initiative and the Computer Simulation Archives.
- Created engaging and interactive exhibits for the Hunt video walls using WebSockets.
- Developed responsive design for digital collections.
- Implemented bento box-style interface for searching across all special collections sites.
- Further improved the discoverability of digital special collections, especially video, on the open Web.
- Supported My #HuntLibrary development and did the initial work to extract the code for reuse into a Ruby gem.
- Oversaw work of two librarians supporting digital scholarship and visualization spaces.
- Supervised developer working on migration to ArchivesSpace and development of a next-generation collection guide application.
- Oversaw maintenance and development of the repository and ETDs.
- Configured application servers (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) and consulted within the department on server configuration and deployment.
- Continued to support growing portfolio of digital special collections applications.
- Consulted on grant funded large-scale digitization project.
Digital Collections Technology Librarian at North Carolina State University Libraries December 2008–February 2012
- Collaboratively planned and developed software systems for access and discovery of digital special collections.
- Developed award winning collection guides interface and tools around EAD XML.
- Improved special collections metadata workflows including automated processes, stub records created from collection guide metadata, and batch updating.
- Focused on improving the discoverability of resources on the open Web.
- Early adopter and promoter in libraries of the use of Schema.org and embedded semantic markup.
- Migrated legacy systems to new software with improved interfaces and functionality.
- Oversaw the work of an NCSU Libraries Fellow working with born digital collections.
Electronic Resources Technician at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis March 2008–December 2008
Electronic resources knowledgebase management.
Library Clerk at Margaret Ridgely Memorial Library, Christ Church Cathedral October 2006–December 2008
Oversaw all aspects of this historic library. Maintenance and operation of Koha ILS. Copy cataloged 2000+ monographs using custom Ruby script.
Internship: Umlaut OpenURL link resolver with Johns Hopkins University May 2008–August 2008
Wrote service adaptors to find appropriate full-text versions through the Internet Archive and Google Book Search.
Senior Serials Specialist at Ruth Lilly Law Library, IU School of Law January 2006–March 2008
Check-in and claims of loose-leaf services, pocket parts, replacement volumes, and law reviews.
Serials and Electronic Resources Supervisor at Temple University Libraries July 2005–December 2005
Managed serials and bindery unit staff. Assisted Electronic Resource Librarian with all aspects of electronic resource management including invoicing and budget reconciliation.
Bibliographic Assistant, Biology Library at Temple University Libraries June 2000–July 2005
Managed all day-to-day operations of departmental library including reference, reserves, document delivery, and student worker management.